Losing birds! Any advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenTender1988, Oct 20, 2018.

1. ChickenTender1988

ChickenTender1988 In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2018
    Hi!
    So for the last month or so, I've lost about one chicken every couple weeks. I'll notice one in the pen just being weird. Laying down or on its side. No energy, or wobbly. The next day it's dead.
    I just found another like this this morning.
    These are birds that are just getting to that "mature" age and should start laying anytime now.
    Water is clean, coop is cool but not freezing (I'm in manitoba).
    Any advice?

Susan Dye likes this.
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Inspect them for external parasites and worm them.

Susan Dye likes this.
  3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Very sorry for your losses! :(

Is Manitoba in the US? Some reason I'm thinking maybe Florida.

You need to refrigerate and send your next bird for necropsy that passes... sounds like it *could* be Marek's. :barnieLinks to help...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Egg binding COULD be another possibility, but it isn't something I would expect to see in multiple birds.

Please, you say they are near laying... How many birds in how much space? How long have YOU had them? What is their daily feed including treats and supplements? Can you post a pic or short video using vimeo or youtube? What have you tried when you find them?

:fl

ETA: I would never worm an already ill bird without first verifying that WAS the issue... could be treating for what you don't have. Not treating what you do and just push them over the edge faster by adding poison to their systems... fecal float with species and load count would be recommended before treatment. But parasites is a great suggestion.

Susan Dye and DobieLover like this.
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Susan Dye and EggSighted4Life like this.
  5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Susan Dye likes this.
  6. AnimalGeek23

AnimalGeek23 Crowing

Apr 10, 2018
    New York State
    Necropsy is good choice for your birds. I'm not an expert on diseases but I'm wishing you luck. :fl

7. ChickenTender1988

Mar 6, 2018
    Manitoba is in Canada.
    I have about 30 chickens/rooster and 12 ducks in a large pen (I dont remember the measurements now but when I first got them it worked out that could fit way more birds in the area if I wanted to, as per the space requirements I found on these sites), they also have a large outdoor run. I've had these younger ones since they were chicks. Hadn't lost any until this started. They are all on layer feed because half of the birds are mature and laying already. They get the odd scraps from the kitchen, mostly fruit and stuff my kids don't finish from their plates.
    I brought the last one in and tried to give it electrolytes but it was too far gone by that time.

Attached Files:

Susan Dye likes this.
  8. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    Have you any male ducks in the pen with the chickens?
    If so that too could be the answer.

Susan Dye and rebrascora like this.
  9. ChickenTender1988

Mar 6, 2018
    Yes I do. What do they do to them? I've never really seen the ducks and chickens interact at all.

Susan Dye likes this.
  10. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    It might not but there is a thread on here about drakes mounting chickens, it should not happen.
    I'm not being rude but drakes have a penis and cockerels don't, the drakes could kill a chicken hen if it takes place.
    I'm not an expert just repeating what I read on here, someone will come in a give better details.

Susan Dye likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: