losing chick... please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by freemontchick6, Mar 10, 2015.

1. freemontchick6

freemontchick6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    my chicks are slowly all showing these same symptoms ( lost 3 to date). They are eating and drinking fine but have become unale to use their legs. They are around 6 months old Seramas. Today i went to feed and i noticed 2 of them are getting wobbly. I am scared i could possibly lose the rest of them. I wormed them with safeguard 3 days ago & i have checked for mites & lice. I do not used any kind of medicated feed. Any advice to help my babies will be so greatly appreciated.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Worms, lice and mites won't make them unable to walk.

That's the right age for Marek's disease.

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Is there any possibility the feed you're using is moldy? I would check it asap... That can cause neurological symptoms.

Also, ChickenCanoe is right about the Marek's. Do you know if they were vaccinated for it?

I am very sorry to hear about your losses. :(

MrsB

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

5. freemontchick6

freemontchick6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely add the vitamins to their water. I'm almost positive they was not vaccinated. How would i know for sure if it is Marek's and what can i do for them as well as the rest of the flock? Thanks again

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One person in the Nor Cal thread sent one of her pullets that couldn't walk to UC Davis for necropsy fully expecting them to find Marek's, but instead they found coccidiosis. Another person had something similar and her necropsy revealed capillary worms *and* coccidiosis, but no Marek's. There was also a peahen that was showing neurological signs and her fecal showed capillary worms and coccidiosis. Not sure how common it is, but it does happen.

-Kathy

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Coccidiosis will weaken a young bird quickly, causing anemia, then enteritis, then death. Intestinal worms and other protozoa cause the same problems. Young birds should be given preventative doses of Amprolium for 5 days, once a month about 3 weeks apart for the first 7-9 months. I've experimented with a number of ways over the years and what I mentioned makes a big difference.

1 person likes this.
  9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    What is Amprolium? and where does one get it.

I don't believe Mareks is as common as we think.

10. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas

Amprolium is Corid. For coccidiosis. You can find it at most feed stores or order it online.

I recommend keeping some on hand.

MrsB

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by