Losing Chickens to Unknown Causes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheChickinator, Nov 17, 2019.

1. TheChickinator

TheChickinator In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2017
    We purchased two dozen chicks from Meyer, and they will be 13 weeks old tomorrow. Starting around week 7-8, these chicks started dieing from an unknown cause.

The chicks that passed were large, appeared healthy, active, etc.

We lost our 5th chicken today. This morning, all chickens were fine. I went out to check on the chicks this afternoon, and found her laying within the coop. She was lethargic, eyes half closed, curled up, etc. I brought her in and tried to doctor her up, but she died within the hour. She was acting just like the first dying chick that I found around week 7-8.

The chicks were all vaccinated for Mereks at the hatchery. They have been on medicated chick feed. They have received some layer feed when we ran out of chick feed, but it hasn't been much.

We have a separate coop full of laying hens, and they've all been doing well.

As far as we could tell, their poop has been fine. They're not wheezing, making weird noises, or acting weird. They'll just be fine one day, and dead by evening or by the next morning.

Any ideas what we can do?

glassdragonfly likes this.
  2. glassdragonfly

glassdragonfly Crowing

Sep 3, 2019
    Ozark,mo
    Sequel and hispoptart like this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. It still could be coccidiosis even though you used medicated starter feed. Corid 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days is the usual treatment for coccidiosis. A necropsy by your state vet is the best way to get a diagnosis. Call them, keep the body cold, not frozen, and sometimes they will necropsy 2 or 3 for the same price as one. Here is a list of state vets:
    https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

4. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This is a mystery of the first order. Unfortunately, chickens are dying, so that takes away the spice of the challenge. This will involve some very careful comparisons between the juvenile group and the adult group.

What is different between the two groups?

Daytime range?
    Water source?
    Food sources?
    Housing?
    Bedding?
    Treats?
    Grit?

5. Cedar Creek Farm Lady

Cedar Creek Farm Lady We "Birds of a Feather Flock Together" here on BYC

Oct 12, 2019
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Is that corid dose from the liquid or powder form per gallon of water?

hispoptart likes this.
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    That is the liquid dose.

7. Cedar Creek Farm Lady

Cedar Creek Farm Lady We "Birds of a Feather Flock Together" here on BYC

Oct 12, 2019
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Thanks!:highfive:

Sequel, hispoptart and dawg53 like this.
  8. TheChickinator

TheChickinator In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2017
    Thanks! We'll try the corid and see if that helps prevent future losses. A big difference between the two groups of chickens is our original layers were vaccinated for cocci when we purchased them from McMurray. These chicks were only vaccinated for Marek's through Meyer.

I just hate losing these guys and not knowing what's going on. We'd hate for it to be contagious and spread to the rest of the flock too.

The two flocks are kept seperated in two different coops. They have the same type of bedding. The layers free range during the day, but the chicks have access to a fenced in run during the day. We don't provide the chicks with grit, but they should be able to get dirt and rocks outside in the run.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  9. pintail_drake2004

pintail_drake2004 Songster

Jun 12, 2017
    IL
    Part of the our run for the chicks is on a old road bed. So there is a lot of residual grit available. As my wife (TheChickinator) said, all other things are equal except where we got the birds from. The laying flock will range all around the chicks pen. Their food is bought from the same place and I try to get the newest stock available. The laying coop, and the chick coop is part of the same building (opposite ends, with 1 solid metal wall). They both get meal worms, pumpkins, and fresh greens for treats.

I'll dose their water with our Corid powder this evening, and hopefully we won't lose any more.

Cedar Creek Farm Lady likes this.
  10. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Since the chicks have a different coop, is there anything in the way of petroleum distillates, paint, thinner, peeling paint, recent insecticide applications?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: