Losing chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Scalco, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Scalco

Scalco Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    Gonzales, Louisiana
    About a week ago I went out to find my year and a half old black Cochan frizzle roo in a little ball. He refused to eat and drink. He died later that day. I thought that maybe it was the cold (it has been colder than usual in Louisiana this winter). Now my Buff Orpington is falling over I got her to eat just a little bit but it was like she fell asleep after the few pecks. It has been cold and rainy (sloppy) and these chickens were looking fine the day before. No runny noses or anything.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You may be dealing with coccidiosis. The symptoms are pale color. puffing up into a ball, diarrhea, sometimes with blood, poor appetite, and ruffled feathers. Corid (amprollium) 1 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid per gallon of water for 5 days is the treatment. Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet can also be used. Keep the water and feed containers free of droppings, and keep the litter dry.

3. Scalco

Scalco Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    Gonzales, Louisiana
    I think that is it! We lost that chicken this morning but I am going to treat my other girls! Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by