Losing chicks one by one hatched 6/14

write2caroline

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville
My chicks had a bit of an horrible delivery to the post office. Basically they were in a postal carriers car all day and I did not get them until after 5pm on Thursday. 4 were looking really bad and I got them all water and food and under the heat lamp. By Friday AM I lost 3 and Sat AM I lost 2 more and now a sixth is very ill. I found her on her side acting sleepy. I gave her some water and tried to perk her up. She is trying to keep her head tucked and her feet up and is breathing slowly not peeping. The others were also very lethargic and wouldn't eat.

The rest of the chicks are active and running around. They are eating well and drinking water. They are growing. The temp is good for the brooder - they are not huddled up or trying to get out of the heat. The poop is looking normal from everyone - two had pasty butt - this sick chick is one of them. I cleaned up her back side this am and dried her off with a cotton ball. One other has a little pasty butt too but seems fine.

I am feeding them Medicated Purena Chick starter. It looks fine - no mold.
The temp in the brooder is 90 degrees when it was hotter they were staying out of the heat.

They are not sneezing and they don't have hard crops.

I am wondering if the stress from their travel is lowering the immune system. I don't want to lose anymore and I am very concerned.

I am going to give them some apple cidar vinagar by way of their water.

Any other ideas for me to try? I am stumped at this point. If they were all acting lethargic, then I would think it was the stress but one by one in a batch of 26. This one was active too a few hours ago.

Caroline

Last edited:
I can't help you any because I am going thru the same thing myself, only I lost 10 with another one possibly on the way out. I fed the weak ones yogurt mixed with a little goat milk, honey and an egg. I kept giving them tiny drops of water with sugar added. Nothing worked and they died anyway. I picked them up from the Post Office and they were in rough shape-cold and very weak.

Good luck with your baby Biddies. I did noice with mine that once they went down on their side they had given up and died soon after. sigh.
hit.gif

All I can suggest is try to keep them warm and hydrated.

Yes, I think you're right. These may have been weaklings to begin with and the stress of shipping just tipped them over the edge. It wouldn't hurt at all to pick up some Polyvisol (without iron) baby vitamins. (You can get started on that tonight - it's available in just about every supermarket I know of, in the baby food section). Put two drops directly into the beak of any chick not doing well. Put 1/2 dropperful in a 1 quart water fount. Be sure to use tepid water for your chicks. I find they do better with that (and drink more) if it's not real cold. Continue with the vitamins for 2 or 3 days, then you can switch to ACV in the water. I'm a big believer in the value of ACV and adults as well as babies get that everyday. For that one really lethargic chick, you might try giving a little cooked egg or make a must of chick crumbles with a pinch of sugar added. See if you can get that one to perk up with the vitamins and the sugar.

Good luck. Let us know how you get along.

I had the same thing happen, and was told it was shock. try feeding them scrambled eggs, and with mine, the ones who made it past a week or so did fine. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom