1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

losing chicks- unsure why

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LJ33, Feb 8, 2016.

1. LJ33

LJ33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2015
    I bought 6 chicks from a local feed store, who had them shipped this weekend from a hatchery. They all seemed fine at first, just a few days old.
    I have an 8 ft by 2 foot metal trough (old horse feeder) with a good layer of pine shavings and a heat lamp. (not too hot though). They are in my Laundry/Mud room, which is a heated.

Yesterday one was very lethargic, Wouldn't eat or drink. No blood in poo. She was dead this morning.
    Now, another one is acting the same way- but was just fine yesterday.

Could be coccidiosis? Could it be low blood sugar or low nutrition from being shipped?

If its not Coccidiosis, and I give them Corid, will that hurt them?

Can I put sugar in the water just in case?

Any ideas would be great.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. beb444

beb444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA
    Corid can not hurt them, just help. Instead of sugar I would put Apple Cider vinegar into their water (1 tbs. per galloon) but I would do corid ASAP

3. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You mention your laundry room is heated. How warm? If chicks are under a heat lamp and the rest of the environment is very warm, then the chicks have no place to cool down, which is essential. If your laundry room is 70 or above, it's too warm.

I agree Corid would be a good idea. Be sure to mix two teaspoons per quart of tepid water for the liquid Corid, not the preventative formula which is much less and not enough to treat an active case of cocci. This is not a toxic medicine, so it can't harm your chicks even if they don't have cocci.

I'm so sorry you're losing chicks. It's an awful experience. Let's hope the Corid will help.

4. LJ33

LJ33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2015
    I have a wall heater in the room, as it does not have central heat/air. Heat is down, Corid in the water. And praying.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
  6. LJ33

LJ33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2015
    Thanks Karen, I wish I Had known about that sooner.. But I'll order some to have on hand.

We lost 2 more over nigh despite our best efforts[​IMG]

The other 4 seem just fine, eating and drinking, playing with each other and just being baby chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by