Losing chicks!

neener92

Songster
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
I’ve lost 4 chicks since Saturday. Various breeds and ages 4-8ish weeks. All my other birds seem fine. These chicks were mareks vaccines. They seem fine in the mornings and by evening they’re lethargic and dead by morning. I started baytril Saturday evening when I found the first dead chick and started corid and b12 this morning when I found the fourth. The only thing I’ve really noticed wrong is some congestion maybe? Today I noticed some head shaking. Any other suggestings or treatments are appreciated. There is a lab about an hour away I could take a dead one to but by the time I’ve found them they’ve been dead too long. I’d love to add a video but it’s not letting me.

At 4-8 weeks I would worry about coccidiosis. Treat with Corid 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 7 days. Don’t give any vitamin that contains thiamine during treatment. Sorry that you are losing chicks. Are they getting overheated in any way? Make sure that your ventilation is good, and limit any dust or mold.

At 4-8 weeks I would worry about coccidiosis. Treat with Corid 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 7 days. Don’t give any vitamin that contains thiamine during treatment. Sorry that you are losing chicks. Are they getting overheated in any way? Make sure that your ventilation is good, and limit any dust or mold.
They’re getting 5ml of corid per gallon starting today. I wondered if they were getting overheated, they have a pretty good shady spot outside their coop and inside but I did add more shade today. I really don’t like keeping them in such small quarters either but I didn’t want to free range them just yet. If they are doing better after this treatment they’ll be free! Makes me so sick losing babies though! Ugh! One was a bcm cockerel, one Sanjak longcrower, a frizzle tolbunt polish and a ayam cemanis. :hit

I would increase the Corid in the water to 10 ml per gallon. For any that appear weak or lethargic, give a couple of drops of undiluted Corid orally twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom