Losing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CoreyE, Feb 9, 2013.

1. CoreyE

CoreyE New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    We just got our first chicks two days ago, one Americana, one black Australorp and one buff Orpington. Yesterday we came home to find the buff Orpington had died. We quickly replaced her (each of our children had chosen one as their pet), but now today the Americana is panting and not moving much and not cheeping. She's pooped and doesn't look like she has pasty butt and I've tried several times to move her to the cooler part of the brooder (the temp is 95-98). What am I doing wrong? She was very active last evening and seems like a different chick now. Any recommendations are appreciated!

2. bird_brain

bird_brain Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Sounds to me like the chick is panting because it is too hot. Your cooliest area should be the hottest. I run mine at about 85 then have a cooler part away from heat.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. CoreyE

CoreyE New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    Thanks everyone. It's at about 95 right now but I raised the heat lamp more too try to bring it down a little more. She has plenty of cooler area to be in, but keeps going back to being directly under the light...should I remove her from the brooder to cool her? If so, for how long? The house it kept at 65 degrees.
    Fingers crossed :(

5. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Dropper her some sugar water and remove her into your hands for a few minutes to see if she cools down, my brooder is at 97 and my chicks are having not a problem and are comfortable but I'm raising bantams and believe they need to be slightly warmer, I gave all my chicks sugar for 24 hours then switched to 24 hours of ACV with mother in it.

Good luck and hope she feels better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by