Losing feathers and i need a cure !!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Outkast, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Outkast

Outkast New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    Hello everyone i am new to the sight. i have been on the sight before and love looking around at everything. i joined today. This is my second year with my chickens so i am new to this. i have a question...... i have 7 chickens and they are losing feathers around the Vent and the underside of their bodies. i need to know what i can do to prevent this from happening. my chickens look horrible they are still laying and they acting fine just look bad. My neighbor has 17 chickens and his look beautiful. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. NCcitychicken

NCcitychicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2015
    Salisbury nc
    Could they just be molting

3. Outkast

Outkast New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    When they molt don't they stop laying ? And don't they lose all there feathers ?

4. NCcitychicken

NCcitychicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2015
    Salisbury nc
    Not necessarily. some birds will still lay and just look blotchy. As long as they are healthy just keep an eye on them they should start regrowing feathers soon. You could give them some nutrena feather fixer feed that will help them regrow feathers. Other causes could be protein deficiency causing them to pick feathers out of each other or overcrowded or other stressors. Pics of your birds would help I'm sure others would give there opinions with some pictures

5. Outkast

Outkast New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    Ok let me try to get a picture uploaded !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by