Losing feathers fast

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AnnieJ, Sep 11, 2010.

1. AnnieJ

AnnieJ Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2008
    Camano Island, WA
    A couple of days ago I came home to find that the RIR hen I adopted from my sister had lost a lot of feathers that were all over the run. I first thought that some of the other hens were responsible as she is the "newbie" and the pecking order was still being established, although there were no wounds visible. So I separated her from the rest of the flock again thinking this would take care of the problem. But it hasn't and she is going bald! If anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this I would appreciate it. She was beautiful and healthy when she came about a month ago. I kept her separated for a week and the first two weeks went okay with the hens together. Thank you!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How old is she? Sure sounds like molting.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    moulting will do that-my RIR went through it for months now shes gorgeous!!!

4. AnnieJ

AnnieJ Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2008
    Camano Island, WA
    She is definitely old enough to molt, about 2-1/2 yrs. But this is not the time of year that any of the others have ever molted (is the spelling molt or moult?). I would be happy if that is it. I guess I should just wait and see then? Thanks for such speedy replies!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine are molting (moulting?) now. Well, several are

The spellcheck likes molting but I always thought it was moulting, too.

6. cparian

cparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Mine all moult at different times. Some have already finished, some are in the midst of moulting, & others are just starting. I have some you can hardly tell they are moulting & others that do what you described, drop all their feathers at once.

7. freerangechicktoo

freerangechicktoo New Egg

Sep 11, 2010
    Hi, my RIReds have all molted this year at 2 years old (for first time) and I read somewhere that if there's stress or a change of scenery (move to a new home!?) that it will/could force them into a molt. Just a thought! Make sure she has plenty of good feed and fresh water to make sure she has the energy to grow new feathers by the time it's really cold...

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds like she is in a full molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by