losing feathers on back?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ctjim, Nov 27, 2007.

1. ctjim

ctjim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    lebanon,ct
    one of my aracuana x has some feather damage on her back. the feathers are getting thin and her skin is starting to show a bit, no bleeding yet, but i'm keeping an eye on her. i'm thinking that my roo may be the cause of this but not sure, none of the others have this issue. lately i've noticed hes been getting aggressive w/ the hens again and his spurs are getting a bit bigger. other than the feather loss shes a very healthy hen and good eater/forager too. is it time to get her a chicken vest to protect her? any ideas/help would be great. thanks jim

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Yep, I'm thinking it's about time you got your roo's favourite some protective outerwear.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Clip your roo's nails - Good luck

or

Clip your roo's head off

How many hens do you have per roo?

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

:eek: well you may not have to clip the roos head......just buy a hen saddle [​IMG] mine are molting and the first to go was the neck feathers on the back of their neck........roo did some damage but nothing like the molt.......... have they quit laying also?

5. ctjim

ctjim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    lebanon,ct
    i have only 1 roo and 8 hens. i think a vest is needed. if i get her some protective gear, how long should i keep it on her, forever from the time it goes on or rotate it on and off?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by