losing feathers on neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Garden Gal, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    My rooster (4 1/2 mo.) has developed what appears to be a band of "molting" around his neck. I did not notice it yesterday, but can not swear it was or was not there. He is eating, acting his normal "bad self", crowing, etc... There appears to be new feather pins but the skin looks a bit reddish underneath, but I honestly don't know if that is his normal coloring or not. He is not scratching himself that I have seen.

The birds are not free ranged but have a large enclosed yard. There are ten birds in a 70' sq. ft. coop and the yard is approx. 10' x 20', so over crowding is not an issue. I have not seen anyone = hen or the one other roo bother him in any way.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If the pin feathers are there in one piece and growing out, he must be one of those drop moulters. My rooster is the same way, ever year he drops 90% of his feathers at one time and walks around with a 80% naked neck and a "hen butt" for a month and is just a pin cushion. Just a bit of extra protein to heal his ego and help feathers grow back faster is probably all he needs.

3. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Extra protein is easy - many thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by