Losing feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mys Teri, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Mys Teri

Mys Teri Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2016
    Florida
    The last couple of days I have noticed a lot more feathers in the run than normal. They seem to be concentrated in the corners. My pullets are only 3 months old, so I think they are too young for a molt. Also, most of the feathers seem to be the short downy ones. So far, no obvious bare spots on any of the chickens.
    Should I be concerned?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

at about 8-12 weeks old pullets molt out their feathers and grow in their adult feathers, they will molt again in the winter or next winter as most chickens don't have a winter molt in their first year

3. Mys Teri

May 15, 2016
    Florida
    I guess I thought they already had their adult feathers. Their butts are still fluffy though, so maybe they are getting butt feathers? Lol. I have EE chickens, so I thought maybe the fluffy butt was normal for adults.

Could the heat be contributing? It is really hot (85-95), and my girls are all panting and holding their feathers out.
    (They have plenty of shade, 3 waterers, cold water, and a wading pool).

4. Poultry parent

i know, they get their adult feathers and then molt them out

1 person likes this.
  5. Mys Teri

May 15, 2016
    Florida
    Oh, and do FL chickens molt in the "winter"? We don't really have a winter, just a couple of sporadic days in the low 40's and the rest of our winter is in the high 50s to low 60s.

6. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    my 13/14 week olds (Cream Legbar and Barnevelder) are dropping feathers like crazy. One pullet lost her entire tail in the last few days

I am used to finches and Button quail. They molt out of down to feathers, then around 6 months ish molt to adult feathers then annual molts, but one of my Delaware breeder friends told me her Delawares molt 5-7 times between down and adult plumage holy wow

7. Poultry parent

i'm not sure if they would molt in the time of year considered winter, but they do molt once a year to get new healthy feathers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by