Losing feathers??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FlaChickenMan, Jan 21, 2009.

1. FlaChickenMan

FlaChickenMan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2008
    Hastings, Florida
    I have a Domineque (Barred Rock)hen (4 months old) that I find lots(5 or 6) of feathers(some small, some wing sized) in her cage in the morning or evening. She seems to be always cleaning herself, could it be that? Also I use DE in the pen, no mites on legs, beak or butt. Other than that she is fine. Any ideas, or is it just a phase?

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Molting? Feathers growing in CAN'T be comfortable, she's probably preening because of that. Is she sort of patchwork, like this?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:And just for future reference: Dominique and Barred Rock are two different breeds. The hen above is a Barred Rock. If she has a rose comb, she a Dominique, if she has a single, she's a BR.

4. jprinc44

jprinc44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2008
    south-central Va.
    Looks like my Dominiques....Mine have a similar problem with he feathers falling out, but I think their timing is off and they are moulting, plus my roos get quite carried away sometimes, and do damage to the girls' backs.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:If you are referring to my photo (sorry for any confusion, NOT the OP's!) then you, my friend, have Barred Rocks.

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you checked for mites/lice too. Just to be safe.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Yes, he checked for mites and lice, nothing. I believe it is just a molt.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  8. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok I was just making sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by