1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Losing Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spies04, Jul 28, 2011.

1. spies04

spies04 Chirping

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Only a certain set of my chickens are losing their feathers. I have wormed them, tried additional vitamins and dusted them and I just cannot get a handful to get their feathers back. I have many others that have a full set of feathers without any issue. I am not sure what to try. I don't see any aggressive behavior either.

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    What feathers are being lost? Do you have roosters?

3. spies04

spies04 Chirping

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I do have one rooster but the girls boss him around. They are mainly on the back and around the neck.

4. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Songster

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    That sounds like the rooster doing his buisness to me! get some hen saddles. thats what I do for some of my girls. even if the hes boss him around its still probably him.

5. spies04

spies04 Chirping

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I have never seen those before. I will try them. thanks!

6. I agree, I think the rooster has picked those as his favorites.
    I have two girls with the same problems.

7. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    If you can sew or know somebody that can and would make them for you I have a pattern I can email you if you want. I also have some left already made. Or you can check the "everything else" thread. I"m sure somebody has some for sale there. I don't charge for the pattern just the saddles/aprons i've already made.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by