**Losing feathers....**

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tripp16, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok so I went out to my big girls mansion ([​IMG]) to collect the eggs when I find to my surprise alot of flight feathers and tail feathers looked to be pulled out and just sitting below roosts. Now I know none of my girls are molting but I did check my white Ameracuana (Cindy) and found that she had lost a few tail feathers. [​IMG]

I dont think that its anything to do with the pecking order because my barred rock (Henrietta) is missing a few flight feathers (she is like second in the pecking order). While Cindy is second to last on the pecking order. [​IMG] I dont know do you think something could be pulling them out at night when their roosting? Their house is closed in.... [​IMG]

Any thoughts on what it might be?? [​IMG]

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Last year I raised 9 roosters, not by choice....and this year I have 16 pullets and 3 roos....I have more feathers than I can believe now!

They are everywhere...I posed this question also...no real answers. So I think pullets may lose them more often?

None of mine fight, so that can be my only answer...they all look great, full feathers, beautiful...so there you go!

[​IMG]

3. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:A lot of people are experiencing this right now, has your egg count dropped?

4. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I have feather loss but mine aren't laying yet. I did find a link somewhere and I think that mine are in a juvenile molt. They are 14 weeks old right now. No mites/bugs/anything to be seen and everyone is happy, eating and "honking" away! LOL

5. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I did just find this and I hope this helps......

First moult –
    when down is replaced by the first juvenile plumage occurring at 6-8 days and ending at 4 weeks.
    Second moult –
    when the first juvenile plumage is replaced by the second juvenile plumage. This occurs over a number of weeks starting between 7 and 12 weeks of age.
    Third moult –
    occurs in the hen at 16 to 18 months. This is the 'moult' of most importance for producers.

6. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:LOL - Sorry when you said you went to check for eggs I thought they were already laying and not in the pullet age range.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    ah, this explains why I have so many feathers....mine are at 17-20 weeks old....no eggs yet.

8. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    Quote:Thanks, most helpful info.

Dave

9. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone for your replys!! I think that must be what mine are going through and no they havent started laying yet.... [​IMG]

10. effie

effie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    West(by god) Virginia
    Quote:Mine are the same age and there are feathers everywhere!!!! [​IMG] my girls faces are starting to get red--hopefully eggs soon!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by