Losing feathers??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lesliepie, Feb 15, 2012.

1. lesliepie

lesliepie New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    I'm new here, but you all seem so wonderful! Hopefully you can help! I have an almost 1 year old Barred Rock hen named Spiderman (Named by 4 year old daughter, Ruby). Spiderman is losing feathers on her neck and legs. I couldn't see any mites, but I also don't know what I'm looking for. She is a little more skittish than normal, but otherwise seems healthy. It's getting pretty cold here and we're worried about he being cold. Is she molting, or is there something else wrong with her? Please help!

2. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    [​IMG] I'm so happy your here.
    As for spiderman (love that name..), she could be in molt, it's not likely in Febuary but it could happen. To check for mites or lice blow through the feathers near her vent and look closely for scattering bugs or clusters of eggs on the feather shafts. If you notice the others looking "scruffy" it could be lice or mites. If it is just her, it may just be a late molt. Hope this helps! Please keep us updated and keep asking questions of you need to, we are happy to answer them.
    -Roxy

3. lesliepie

lesliepie New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    All the others appear fine, Spiderman does seem to distance herself from the others more than usual. I checked her vent for mites and lice. I couldn't see any bugs or eggs, but the feathers around her vent are all gone and she's losing more rapidly. Is that normal for moulting? It's getting cold at night and we worry about her. Should we use a heat lamp at night or something to keep her warm?

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I've had a production red that went into molt in the beginning of January. At nights we were reaching -25. She was fine without any added heat or insulation. She laid right through it in fact :/ That one's a trooper!

She is most likely molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by