Losing feathers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hamletchick, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Hamletchick

Hamletchick Out Of The Brooder

My Chicken is having her first molt and has lost about 1/3 of her feathers. Is it the molt? Is it the other chickens? Is it a health problem? Chicken is acting normal otherwise. I did notice a bit of picking by the chicken on the roost next to her. The top of her legs are bare. I can see the skin down the middle of her back. I sure did not notice this a few days ago. Her demeanor has been good so I don't know I looked closely at her a few weeks later. Can it happen fast or are my observation skills bad? I'll try to get pics to post in a couple of days. The pics that I found here already have been very helpful.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yes, she sure is! Molting is the term for 'feather loss' .. when I first discovered my girls going into molt I thought they were all going to die from some strange disease!! [​IMG]

Molting is somewhat stressful on them as they shed old feathers and re-grow new ones. I would recommend boosting their protein intake right now to help that process. I give my girls hard-boiled eggs crumbled up really good, shell and all, they go crazy for them! You can do this about twice a week. Black sunflower seeds are also good, too. Best of luck!

3. Hamletchick

Hamletchick Out Of The Brooder

Thanks so much for the reply and extra info!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Molting chickens are shocking to see. As long as you see pinfeathers coming in, everything is okay. Now if you see blood or scabs you have to take action.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by