losing head feathers (pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fancypants1, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    I just noticed that my 8 month BR is losing the small feathers on one side of her head. I checked for bugs but can not see any.

Also, does her comb look frost bitten? Does Vaseline help? I have a small window with hardware wire open but it is below were they sleep. Do I need to add another hole for ventilation above their heads in the coop? We are getting 2 - 3 feet of snow tonight so they will be locked in for the next couple of days.

What should I look for around her head for bugs?? I did not see anything but I know they are very small.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Hi I just read a bit about feather loss reasons,... It can be due to 'chilling' and yes, that does look like frostbite on the comb! Maybe the cold is causing poor circulation (which causes frost bite) and it is killing the follicles for the feathers to grow. Is it happening to any other cold parts? Like around the legs at all? Secondly, could be mites, but no one else has it and it's just on the head. I doubt it. And the cold probably isn't the best time for parasites. Secondly, how clean is the coop? Obviously you want it to ventilated, but not too cold, it says a reason for feather loss can be from build up of extreme ammonia levels

3. Fancypants1

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    I did not noticed any other spots missing feathers but I will look closer at her legs tonight. I looked at the skin about an inch down from her head and that looked healthy and full of feathers and the missing feathers are only on 1 side right now. She has a full body of feathers and is eating and drinking fine.

I have not cleaned the coop floor since the end of the Fall. I thought keeping the poop in there was supposed to add a little heat to the coop. I do clean off the top of the nesting boxes every week which is where they all like to sleep. Mites I thought would not be out since it's cold but their skin is pretty warm to live on. I don't see any of my other 5 girls with feather lose.

We have had very cold weather ( teens to 20's for the high during the day and 0-10 degrees at night). Their run is covered and keep pretty dry.

How should I treat the frostbite or what should I do to prevent it? Is Valvoline any help? We are getting 2-3 feet of snow tonight/tomorrow like I said so cleaning the coop in the next few days is out of the question. They will be in the coop all day tomorrow and tomorrow night.

4. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom

I have never experienced frost bite myself, as is live in the south of England so winter is mainly rain and wind...the worst it ever gets here is probably -9 about twice a year..
    Is the frost bite from them wandering outside or is that from being inside? Have you got a heat lamp in the coop at night?
    It may also be from stress if they are not getting much daylight and get 'cooped' up for days on end.
    Maybe consider cleaning out the coop when you can, and maybe installing a full spectrum light bulb which mimics the sun, and turn on whilst they're locked up. Otherwise they will become deficient.
    Make sure they get plenty of veggie treats and feed them cooked apple mush, it's cheap, they love it and it's great for their health.

5. Fancypants1

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    Tomorrow will be the first time I have kept them closed in the coop and it's only because a blizzard is coming. Once I get the run cleaned off Wednesday/Thursday they will be back out. I do not have heat or lights in the coop (no electricity to the coop). They are a cold hardy breed and the cold does not seen to bother them. They get hot oatmeal and veggie/fruit every day. It's just weird that she is only losing the tiny feathers on one side of her head. These pictures were taken in the Fall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Hmm I'm not sure. Maybe stress? Do you know where she is in the pecking order? How old is she?

7. Fancypants1

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    I have a very peaceful flock now that our EF has been re-homed. They all grew up together and we got them as day old chicks. They are all going to be 9 months next week.

8. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    I don't know, maybe some one else knows more about skin conditions :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by