Losing hens, finding them dead in the morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Calero clucks, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Calero clucks

Calero clucks New Egg

Jan 22, 2016
    Over the last six months, I have found four of my hens, varying breeds and ages, that passed away during the night. Three of them had been sitting on eggs, the fourth had never tried to hatch eggs. I check my coop every morning and every evening before bed, and the day before I found their bodies, all these hens had been acting quite normally, active, eating, no symptoms like a cough or discharge or anything. It was like a chicken heart attack or a chicken stroke, except two of them had passed so peacefully that they literally looked like they'd just hunkered down on their roost or nest for the night and died in their sleep.

I am heartbroken. I've only cared for this coop for a year but I've developed "attachments" and learned these birds. Two of the hens were great brood hens, and really interesting, interactive hens. I miss them every time I go in the coop.

And I feel clueless. What did I miss? What did I do wrong?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC!

Where do you live?

4. Calero clucks

Calero clucks New Egg

Jan 22, 2016
    I live near Calero Resevoir, south of San Jose, CA. I have no signs of mite infestation, no gnats, none of the "bug" stuff...and the loss of my hens has been a bit scattered over a six month period. Two of them, at least, were candidates for "aged."

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

In California we can have necropsies done at UC Davis. Cost is $20 per submission, which is limited to two chickens. They also let us use their FedEx account, which saves on shipping. Last one I shipped a large peahen and the fee to overnight was only $20. If you lose another, you might want to consider shipping one of the four labs. The two I use are in Turlock and Tulare.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by