losing hens to mystery illness UPDATE Hen died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by frankenchick, Sep 17, 2011.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I don't know if it's coincidence, but I adopted 3 hens in JUne from a boy who wasn't taking very good care of them. Since then, I've lost 2 hens, and one is very ill today after being poorly for 2-3 days.

It goes the same: the hen is mopey; doesn't roost; tend to fall down if bumping into anything bigger than a blade of grass; lay on side with one foot curled up. I haven't had a chance to see their poops, but I'm not finding anything really unusual in the yard/coop. I did put everyone on Terramycin back in late June because I was concerned that the new girls had brought something with them (despite my quarantining them first).

One thing I did notice is that they get weird, "clubby" clumps of poop on their backsides. It's not like when poop is a little runny because they're drinking a lot of water and it gets on their bums.

Does anyone have any ideas? Please respond ASAP -- I have to use the library's computer and they close at 1 pm on Saturday. [​IMG]

ETA: After being poorly for 5 days, my sweet Mae West (4.5 y/o NH) died. [​IMG] She stopped eating Tues and was drinking very little, so I knew it was just a matter of time. I have her in the freezer, pending info from APHIS on how/where to have a necropsy done.

I'm giving the flock pumpkin and putting OACV in their water. I also cleaned the coop and sprayed a germicide in the corner in which the sick hens liked to hide. I tried to find the wormer at TSC, but couldn't recall the exact name and couldn't find anything that looked like it pertained to poultry, anyway.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd give them Valbazen for worms and I'd check for mites/lice, and probably treat with poultry dust or spray. It could be lots of things, but those are two that can be corrected, and are possible causes.

3. frankenchick

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I put the update in as an edit. Don't know yet what caused the deaths.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Get Valbazen (it's a goat wormer) down at the feed store. Use 1/2 ml or 1/2 cc per average sized bird, half that for the smaller varieties. In 10 days, repeat the dosage. While you're at the feed store, see if you can pick up a small bottle of Ivomec pour on (it's packaged in a box). It's a cattle wormer (Ivermectin). Sometime on or after the second worming round with the Valbazen, use some of the Ivermectin for external parasites, roughly 2-7 drops depending on the size of the chicken. Use sevin dust on them now for mites and lice (turning them around and lightly work small amounts underneath the feathers all around avoiding the eyes). Keep some soap and water out by the coop to keep the butts clean. Make sure water's clean and feed's dry. Clean and treat coop with the sevin too. Take a wiff inside the coop, it shouldn't smell like ammonia. Keep us posted.

5. frankenchick

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Thanks. It helps to have something to DO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by