Losing hens

lverner

Songster
Aug 19, 2017
West Michigan
Hello, we have 10 hens a mixture of Isa Browns, RI Reds and barred rocks. We have some that are two and some that are three. We have a pretty nice set up coop/run and have learned a lot over the last three years. We live in Michigan and lost one chicken to an extreme cold snap last year but otherwise have done good. Right now it is fairly mild here 30's during the day. One of my older browns started looking really sickly a couple weeks ago and the others began picking the back of her head. We put some stuff on her comb that was supposed to make them not want to peck her and that seemed to help. But she just kept looking sick and not getting around much until tonight when we lost her. Now we have a second brown acting the same way. She has been going down hill the last couple days. The rest of the flock looks great but we are concerned we have something that is going to take our flock down. Are we over reacting and is this just kind of normal or should we be doing something?

Isolate the hen right away. Check carefully for injuries and bumps, (especially head injuries and bumps). Is there any other symptoms? Put the hen someplace you can monitor her. I suggest taking the hen to the vet as soon as you can if you have the money to do so.

Sorry for your loss. If you can get a necropsy on a refrigerated body by your state vet, they can give you a diagnosis. Sometimes you can tell at home with a necrospy, to open the abdomen and having a look at their organs. With your sick chicken, get her drinking some fluids and add water to some feed. Offer some scrambled egg—most sick chickens will eat egg. Check her crop first thing in the morning and feel if it is empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy like a balloon. What do her droppings look like. Feel of her breastbone (keel) to check for weight loss. Feel of her lower belly to see if it is enlarged or tight. Check her for labored breathing. Look her over under her vent for any crawling bugs—lice or mites. Take a picture if you can and post it.

She seems completely normal she is eating and has a fairly full crop. I watched her eating meal worms when I threw some in last night. Her body feels normal to me and I have no idea about weight loss she feels the same weight as the other browns. She just seems lethargic. I will try to get some pics when I am out there today. Thanks everyone.

Two things that you can do is to give some Corid in the water for 5-7 days to treat for possible coccidiosis. Also, worm them all with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. Neither will hurt them. If you have a vet locally who will do a fecal test on her, that way you can know whether or not to do the 2 treatments. A necropsy of a chicken who has died is the best way to get a diagnosis. Call your state vet and discuss having a backyard chicken who has died, since sometimes the fee is much less.

Sorry for your loss. If you can get a necropsy on a refrigerated body by your state vet, they can give you a diagnosis. Sometimes you can tell at home with a necrospy, to open the abdomen and having a look at their organs. With your sick chicken, get her drinking some fluids and add water to some feed. Offer some scrambled egg—most sick chickens will eat egg. Check her crop first thing in the morning and feel if it is empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy like a balloon. What do her droppings look like. Feel of her breastbone (keel) to check for weight loss. Feel of her lower belly to see if it is enlarged or tight. Check her for labored breathing. Look her over under her vent for any crawling bugs—lice or mites. Take a picture if you can and post it.
Her crop feels like a balloon. She's been separated from the flock so we can see what her droppings looks like.

Her crop feels like a balloon. She's been separated from the flock so we can see what her droppings looks like.
When you have time, a photo of your hen and her droppings may be helpful.
I'm sorry that she is not feeling well.

I agree, if her crop is like a balloon, then she has a crop problem going on. Could be impacted and turned sour - does her breath smell?
I would be a good idea to look inside her beak for mucous, plaques or canker as well.

When was the last time your hen laid an egg? Have all of her eggs been "normal" (no soft shell/shell less, wrinkled or unusual looking eggs)?

Often a crop issue is a symptom of an underlying condition or disease - worms, coccidiosis, infection and reproductive disorders. Basically something else is going on that is slowing the digestive process and causing the crop not to empty.
As suggested, treating her for worms and coccidiosis won't hurt her or you can get a fecal float from your vet.

It's good that you separated her so you can monitor her more closely. Since the crop is like a balloon, then withhold food for a few hours, but do make fresh water available.
Massage the crop - does it feel like it has air or fluid in it? You can start by giving her 1 teaspoon of coconut oil - I like to refrigerate mine to harden it, then chop it up into small pieces - the hen will usually eat it on her own once she tastes it. Safer than trying to syringe oil and worry about her aspirating. Once you get the oil in her, massage the crop. Monitor her throughout the day and let us know how she is.

This is one of the best, most comprehensive articles I have found on crop problems - I suggest you read all of it, there's some good tips in there:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Back
Top Bottom