1. broken bridge farms

broken bridge farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    my chickens act fine then i will find one just standing hunched over and she will die with in 2 hrs i've lost 10 like this. this week alone

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello, broken bridge farms - I'm sorry to hear about your losses. If you answer the following questions from the sticky at the top of this page, the folks on this site will be better able to help you figure out what is wrong and what you can do fix the problem. Good luck to you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

3. broken bridge farms

broken bridge farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    we got them from a commercial chicken house when they sent his birds to slaughter. these birds got away there about 14months old
    they will just stand there like there sleeping then start flaping there wings and fall over and there breathing will get labored and then die
    not till morning i find them when i go feed them at night there all fine and yelling at me for more food
    no trauma stool is fine
    they have been getting laying feed from tractor suppy and plane water
    well i called a vet and was told they lived a hard life and now there just worn out
    the coop is 4x8 and there fenced in yard is 12x12 i use hay in the coop and becouse it is cold at night low 20 ive been spliting there feeding to aqm and pm
    the one we found today i moved into a cage in the house to see if she was cold she was standing with her head on her wing like she was sleeping the fell over
    we figered that was the end but 30mins later she up on her feet a put her head on her wing

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    You don't say what you are feeding them, but if they are all hens they need a good layer feed such as Purina Layena. This can be supplemented by various foods and vegetables - you can search "treat chart" on this site and you will find a list of good vegetables, fruits and foods for them. Their layer food should be available AT ALL TIMES so that they all have as much as they need to eat. If you haven't wormed them, you should probably do so. You should also give them a thorough exam, looking for lice and mites. I am attaching a couple of links with information on worming and lice/mites. You can search on this site for more information. Maybe someone else on here will have other suggestions as well. Good luck to you, and keep us posted on how you and your birds are doing.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433020
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by