losing hope !

thebanthams

Songster
9 Years
Jun 12, 2010
Safford, Arizona
I am sad to say that I was up early to find my hens killing a newborn chickie! I have a broody hen trying to hatch for the first time. its possible the other hens may have killed more without me knowing.. She did have about 10 eggs. but was down to 3 eggs!, I was wondering do broody hens keeps sitting on as long she can? or will she quit when she thinks her times up? I was thinking about slipping some more eggs under her. but I then she may not want to sit any more ! Can they sit for another month?

I made the mistake and gave my.broody some chicks that I hatched. She was sitting on them no problem, while I was watching they as soon as I left the cool to start gathering feeders she killed on by thumping it on the head and tried another as I caught her and saved it. If you think your other hens are doing it, I would remove and put her in save place away from the rest. She may keep trying until she gets babies, one of my hens tried to hatch out all summer last year, when she finally.got some she was a horrible mom. This year she has been a great mom and is raising up 3 chicks. Good luck Michele

its the other hens that attack the babies, it seems like they hear them chirping and got them ! I think the mother hen would have been a good mom, I think she couldnt help defend them. Its sad when I was hoping to have a broody hen to hatch rather having me to hatch them in the egg incubator !

Back
Top Bottom