Losing lots of downy feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kristyw, Jan 11, 2017.

1. kristyw

kristyw Just Hatched

Hi everyone,
    My 12-13 week old light sussex chicks seem to he losing quite a lot of soft/downy feathers at the moment. I have noticed quite a lot in the coop. Is this normal?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There are several "mini molts" that a bird goes through in the first year or so of life - so it is quite possible, and very likely, that is what is happening with your flock. That being said, it is always best to assess the whole situation and eliminate other potential causes just to be sure - have you checked the birds and coop for external parasites such as lice or mites? Are you noting any bare areas on the birds themselves where the feathers are coming from - if so, what part(s) of the birds are bare, what does the exposed skin look like, etc?

3. kristyw

kristyw Just Hatched

No the chicks still look fully feathered and healthy with no visible parasites. If it is a molt is there anything I should he doing to help them through? I've read that it can be quite draining and stressful for them. Is this the case at this age or is that more likely to happen when they are of laying age?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Typically, the young birds consume most of the shed body feathers. For some reason they are not, or for now not able to keep up with the shedding. What are you feeding them?

5. kristyw

kristyw Just Hatched

I am feeding them the complete chick starter mix from the local stockfeeder and they occasionally get watermelon, fruit and vegetable scraps and scrach mix with shell grit

6. kristyw

kristyw Just Hatched

Here is a pic of my 3 girls and the feathers that have collected in the coop[​IMG]

7. kristyw

kristyw Just Hatched

[​IMG]

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Looks like they cannot reach the feathers to eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by