Losing meaties to Smothering?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickenfeverforever, Jun 15, 2011.

1. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    No.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Not every batch does this, but it is common. Some batches just seem to want to do it no matter what. Sometimes it is due to cold, other times heat, sometimes to much light sometimes to little. Putting them out side helps a lot but from there you have to figure out this batches issue. I was at a friends hatchery where he was having this problem with one pen only. 4 pens same birds, same set up; but this one pen they would just pile we would push them apart and they would walk ten steps and pile over and over, it was rediculous. I think he finally seperated the pen.

3. chickenfeverforever

Apr 18, 2011
    Yeah Im not sure what their problem is because they are even doing it in the yard. Not nearly as bad of course since there are no walls and such for smaller ones to get pined in. But stacking on top of eachother none the less. Hot here so I know its not heat. I guess its just the kind of group I happen to have. I put them outside and 5 hours later they had moved roughly 2 feet. Lol. Silly meaties.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol, well then I would put them in different corners of the yard and let them inch thier way to the center all day![​IMG]

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    What if you did like people do with guinea keets and line the brooder with mirrors so they think there are ten thousand of them in there? Maybe it would make them feel more comfortable.

6. chickenfeverforever

Apr 18, 2011
    No.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    here's a shot of mine free ranging this year. It was the best & healthiest year yet!

[​IMG]

there's 85 there, a week or so before butcher date

8. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    If they are crowding under the light and piling they are too cold.... Add another light.
    If they are crowding to one side or at a random spot in the brooder they are too cold from a draft.... find the draft or better yet have side walls around the brooder.

From what you are saying, they seem to be cold, I would add two lights and lower them. Make sure the lights are 250 watts and the red ones are better... get the heat bulbs not the light bulbs. The type of bulb always plays a role. I get mine from Lowe's, the ones that go into the shower that are supposed to warm the air when you get out. The ones at TSC aren't the same quality.

Good luck...

9. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:This is funny, because you can see the fertilizer marks! LOL. Love it... a whole new meaning to growing green!

10. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol, they were gone a week before the gardeners took over!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by