Losing my girls

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by michellemcc, Aug 1, 2011.

1. michellemcc

michellemcc New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    Tonight it looks as though I am losing a third hen. We just lost one last night, and one 2 weeks ago. The first and this one ( Buff, and an Aricauna) were quite sudden. The birds were fine all morning/day, then suddenly became lethargic and unresponsive to being picked up. The first died, and I don't believe this one will get through the night. They look normal. Not sure what their poop looks like, or if their eating, as it didn't look like a pattern and I didn't isolate until now. The second bird became slightly lethargic a few weeks ago- she seemed smaller than the others, with paler skin around eyes and face (Speckled Sussex). What should I look for? What can I do??

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    perhaps it's internal worms or cocci

3. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I would start with some vitamin and electrolytes in their water. You can pick up a bag of the powder for about $4 at Tractor Supply. Im guessing where your at its hot. But you could worms or something else that is affecting them. The heat can make a weak bird die faster! Do the best you can do and maybe add a fan in the coop. Make sure they have shade!

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. Really good advice. Sending positive vibes to your Girls. Keep us posted.

5. thedubaifox

thedubaifox New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    Hi there ..

perhaps it's internal worms or cocci

I agree with Firefighter Chick, and I think you should quickly buy worms medicine course. One of the worms symptoms is to find the meety part we eat around the breast bone is very light. This happens because the food gets consumed by the worms, and then the hen get weaker and weaker with time.

In the mean time, give your hen some food and vitamin water to make her survive .. it is better to keep her inside the house for a day or two. Hope she gets well!

Regards,
    Kareem​

6. michellemcc

michellemcc New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    Thanks to all. I am currently suspecting Cocci--we are having a very wet summer here in WA. Have been doing ACV and electrolytes already. I am looking into antibiotics and dewormer today. My Aricauna didn't make it through the night. We eyedropped water with ACV last night- her crop felt swollen and slightly squishy compared to my other birds, but I am thinking it isn't a crop issue. Praying for no more loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by