Losing new ducklings (help)

Shtinkypuppie

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2021
On the morning of 9/2, I got 16 2-day-old Muscovies (hatch date 8/31). That same evening, one was dead under the brooder plate - no apparent warning. The next day (9/3), one was lethargic and seemed a bit off balance. I tried coaxing it to drink some sugar-electrolyte water, and it took a little but didn't perk up. It was dead under the brooder plate that night. This morning (9/4) I found another randomly dead, this time next to the waterer. One side of its face was wet, but not the whole head.

I know it's neigh impossible to pin down a cause of death, especially over the internet, but I'd really like to know if I'm doing something wrong. I have a brooder plate with a feather fringe which keeps a steady 90 deg below it. I'm feeding Purina Flock Raiser 22% with a bit of nutritional yeast stirred in. I'm using the usual less-mess duckling waterers made from food storage bins with holes cut in the top.

I appreciate any suggestions or advice. I'm really tired of digging tiny graves.

Attachments

• 20210904_124046.jpg
    20210904_124046.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
The brooder plate looks like it might be a little small for that many ducklings. Can you try using a heat lamp instead?

They definitely all fit under it - at least for now. I can definitely try another heat source if you think it'll help.

😢Well another duckling is fading. This one has the same lethargy as the one I tried to save, but it also has pronounced nasal congestion. I gave it a couple swims in a bowl of warm water and it managed to remove a ton of mucous, but it still sounds congested and looks to be breathing hard.

Back
Top Bottom