losing patiience with Chickens afraid of cattle panels!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CAjerseychick, Sep 29, 2013.

1. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Ok this is more like a Vent (warning)-- Will they come around eventually (it looks like rain which will drive them under the porch) ?!!!!!
    So we put mini goat doelings (seriously they fit thru the pop door into the coop) into the chicken yard (its 40 by 20ft) and had to fence off the feeders with cattle panels (feeders are under the porch which overhangs the chicken yard-- hens fly over the fence and free range daily they -used to- come back and feed at the feeders AM/PM ) to keep the goats out-- WELL they hate the panels and wont go thru them to feed! I have been feeding them once a day out in the yard!!!!
    I work out of town 3 days a week and leave tomorrow. Feeders are full, Have yet to see a chicken brave the cattle panels to eat....
    Pls tell me they wont starve themselves to death- and that they will figure it out(?)the feeders are in the exact same place there just happens to be a cattle panel between them and the feeders....
    (sigh thanx for listening).... I was going to title this STUPID CHICKENS.....

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quit feeding them outside. They won't starve. They just dislike anything new. I have birds that escape through cattle panels all the time. Yours just need the right motivation, and hunger usually does the trick!

3. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Ok I am out of town for 2 days starting tomorrow night and they will be on their own anyway (feeders will be full)....

4. rottnwarrior

rottnwarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    I agree. Hunger works wonders as a motivator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by