Losing tail feathers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hennotrooster, Sep 28, 2012.

1. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    My hen (who took the place of our lost roo) is now loosing her tail feathers. What can be causing this? Will scratch cause them to make a sound like a squeaky toy? Thanks

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Could she be molting?

3. PJ22

PJ22 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    My hens occasionally look like their tails have been bobbed. I wondered if they get broken off during mating. My rooster is big and a little clumsy. And that squeaky toy sound? Yes! My hens and rooster make that noise when they are eating scratch. I wondered if it was a sneeze...from that white dust in the scratch.

4. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Probably just moulting

5. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    The squeaky sound is strange and my two older girls did not do this it is the younger ones that seem to make this noise. I almost wonder if the scratch is getting stuck in their throats and this is the way they clear it...maybe.

We no longer have a roo she started to shed her tail feathers a few days ago she now has one dark one left the rest a short soft feathers.

6. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    I thought she might be molting but she started growing new pin feathers on her lower back so I thought the molting was over. Oh she seems to have a lot of fine white feathers poking through her darker feathers and the feathers around her neck are very shiny and new looking but her tail looks awful and the last 3 days she started to lay again. She is going through something.

Her sister lost most of her back feathers but they are almost all in now I can no longer see her skin [​IMG] I was putting aloe vera on her because she was getting sunburned this was actually the only time that she let me catch her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by