Losing the outer egg shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duraleigh, Apr 20, 2011.

1. duraleigh

duraleigh New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    I have six apparently healthy red sex link hens approx. 7 months old. All have been exemplary producers and I have been getting 6 eggs daily.

They free range during the day and are fed about 30-40 ounces of "All grain Poultry Layer/Breeder" food in the feeder each day. I have not fed them any oyster shells.

About 5 days ago, one of the eggs was noticeably lighter than the other five. I have a nice picture showing this problem but am restricted from uploading it because I am a new poster.

So, the shell has gotten lighter and rougher and thinner each successive day with today's egg shell being almost nonexistent.....only the membrane holding the egg together but not enough shell to hold it in a round shape.

All six hens appear perfectly healthy and energetic. Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. duraleigh

duraleigh New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    There, I am able to post an image after my initial post.[​IMG]

3. duraleigh

duraleigh New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    Bump.

4. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    From what I have read and experienced this does happen occasionally and there is generally nothing to worry about. Adding back crushed egg shells may alleviate the problem though I am definitely still new at this.

5. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Increase calcium -- e.g. shell grit (mixed in feed or supplied separately).

Soft eggshells can cause internal laying and then there can be other issues. Occasional soft shells might be okay but if it becomes regular it's a concern.

She may also be about to stop laying and have a moult -- the entire laying system goes a bit haywire when that happens. But I'd try calcium in any case. If she seems reluctant to take the shell grit on its own, you might want to mix some among the feed. But most hens will learn to take it themselves. [​IMG]

regards
    Erica

6. duraleigh

duraleigh New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks, Erica & Cindilou,

I had four normal eggs today. The last time we had less than six eggs was probably2-3 weeks ago so some kind of change must be going on.

The girls look and act perfectly healthy so I'll just report in from time to time and not worry. I will also introduce some oyster shell into their diet.

7. duraleigh

duraleigh New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    My six girls had a very productive day yesterday. (I think they all got together and decided not to worry me anymore) I got six very nice eggs....ALL with normal shells.....including this double yolker.
    [​IMG]

I have awarded them all gold stars for the day but cautioned them I expect similar results tomorrow. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by