Losing the Top Hen---what now?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FromChictoChick, Dec 19, 2012.

1. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    My PBR hen was the top hen/alpha hen. Definitely the leader of the flock type, lead them around, kept everyone in line and kept the crew safe

Last week I lost her to a particularly aggressive hawk :( I was really sad to lose her, but the other hens all seem off too
    I'm seeing a drop off in egg production (not sure if it's stress related or seasonal (all hens under 1yo) Had eight hens, was getting 3-4eggs/day now only 2eggs/day

The surviving hens seem skittish and shy and quiet now, sort of loss

My questions, how long does it take for things to go back to normal, for them to get back to egg production and out around the yard again? Will another hen step up? Would introducing a new hen help to shake up the pecking order? Is there anything I can do??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry for your loss. The pecking order may shift some, but hopefully there will not be major problems. Shortened daylength compounded by the hawk attack have combined to lower their egg production. The hawk may still be 'visiting' making them reluctant to venture out. I would only free range under supervised conditions. Adding a new hen/hens would just add to their stress. Things will settle down, but I am concerned that the hawk will return.

3. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    I've restricted their free ranging and put netting over the run/coop

I feel bad, they've always enjoyed free ranging and I've always enjoyed having them in the yard, but no more risks

They are now only free ranging when I am either home and in the yard or within earshot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by