losing third chicken in three months and can't figure it out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by osudeltazeta, Aug 9, 2014.

1. osudeltazeta

osudeltazeta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    Once a month for the past three months I have had a chicken suddenly go lethargic and stop leaving the cvoop, refuse to eat or drink, and die within a couple of days regardless of what I do. Last month I gave one Tylan and she seemed much better. We thought she weould make it but she died. I think she starved and I got her eating too late. Tonight I am holding another one. Totally lethargic, eyes closing, refusing anything I offer her. If they had something contagious wouldn't I be losing them closer together? Anyone have an idea on how to that them? They were all wormed a month ago when Emma died because I did see worms in her poop but none of the others.

Also, this one seems really red around her comb and beak but her feet are totally white. She can't seem to hold her head up.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. 273816

273816 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2014
    Australia
    I can't help you but I'll keep an eye out for something that might help.

Best of luck,
    Rachel.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

A few questions? How old are they and what did you use to deworm them with? And did you do a repeat dose in 10 days? Have you checked them all very carefully for lice/mites? Any new birds added recently?

4. osudeltazeta

Apr 12, 2014
    They are a year o!d. Used wazine and repeated in 10 days. They were all Bantams but different breeds. No new birds in about six months. I don't see lice or mites but I don't really know what to loom for. This bird has been quiet and a bit secluded for weeks but I attributed it to her molting.

5. osudeltazeta

Apr 12, 2014
    Can mites cause this? I don't know for sure if she has them. I don't know how to identify them but she keeps trying to groom something off of her like she is being bit. Also, there have been tiny spots and flecks of stuff inside the eggs of our other birds lately. I assumed they were blood spots but could they be mites? If so, can I save her and how? She is soooo weak and the only meds I have are Tylan and electrolytes.

6. cafarmgirl

To check for lice/mites pick the birds up, part the feathers and just check all over the body down at the skin, especially around the vent and under the wings. Also go into the coop at night with a flashlight and check the roosts and the birds, mites come out to feed at night.

You might consider deworming with something more effective then Wazine in case your birds have a load of something besides round worms, that's all Wazine will treat and chickens can get a lot of different worms. Try Valbazen or liquid Safeguard for goats and do a 10 day repeat.

The symptoms of sudden lethargy, not eating/drinking and quick, multiple deaths makes me suspicious if they are trying to fight off coccidiosis. Especially in the absence of any other symptoms. I would run a course of Corid just to rule out that possibility if nothing else.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Lice are white or off white in color, they move quickly through feathers and fluff. Lice have 6 legs and are an irritant to chickens.
    Mites look like pepper, black or red in color. They are slow movers or don't move at all. Mites have 8 legs. Mites suck blood, cause anemia and then death. Closely inspect your birds for either of these external parasites, especially around the vent area where it's warm and moist. Inspect feather shafts for eggs also.

8. cafarmgirl

Yes, a mite infestation can weaken and kill birds over time and if they have worms on top of that even more so. Dust them all with Sevin powder, strip the coop and either dust it with Sevin or spray with the same. I like the spray because I find it's easier to get it into the nooks and crannies where the bugs hide during the day. None of this will kill the bugs eggs so you have to make sure to do a repeat treatment of coop and birds in 7 to 10 days, that is the hatch cycle. If you dont' repeat the eggs hatch and your right back at square one.

Whether or not this bird will live depends on how weak she is. If she has mites and you can get them killed then give her all the good nutrition you can. And add some good vitamins to her water like Avian Super Pak.

9. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I recently lost a hen to lice. By the time I realised what was ailing her she was too far gone. I only discovered the problem when I noticed the roo had a red raw vent area. I never did see any live lice but after picking the poop off his feathers below the vent I found this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lice will knock them around and mites are even harder on them. Mites are capable of transmitting encephalitis , salmonella and respiratory disease. Not only do you need to dust and treat for lice if they are present , but you need to ensure that wild birds ( sparrows ) etc can't get into your pens . Mites are brought in by rodents , so it is also important keep them under control.
    Keeping chickens, easy right?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

10. osudeltazeta

Apr 12, 2014
    well I just can't figure it out. I haven't seen any lice or mites. They just seem to act distant for a couple of days and then obviously weak and not eating or drinking and then die. I gave her a shot of Tylan because it is all I have and I thought it couldn't hurt. I don't expect her to make it through the night. She will lay comfortably for awhile and the flail around for awhile biting her feathers or my hand or whatever is near. If she is going to die I wish it would happen quickly because she seems so miserable. Trying to figure out what to do to stop this from happening anymore when I just can't identify the culprit. One thing I know is that all of these birds came from the same batch at the hatchery and a friend of mine got some of those as well and they have all died randomly over the past year. Just seems weird for that to be related since there are several different breeds involved. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by