Losing weight, diarrhea, just laying around... what's wrong with her!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by misspoppins, Aug 5, 2011.

1. misspoppins

misspoppins Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Alabama
    My 2 1/2 year old Buff Orp is really sick!! She's losing weight, has diarrhea (all over her bum, ew), and she's just laying around. I had to literally force-feed her this morning. Anybody know what this is?? Is there a cure? WILL MY OTHER CHICKENS GET IT?

All insights are appreciated!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Pick her up and visually inspect her for lice/mites. Additionally, the heat can cause these problems. If it's heat stress/exhaustion, bring her in the A/C and put some cool (not cold) water on her and put her in a cage or crate for a few days to help her recover (inside the house w/ A/C.) Ensure you hydrate her often. Once she comes around, feed her scrambled egg to help regain strength.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  3. gertsgal

gertsgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Hi, I am on week 2 of doctoring my barred Rock hen. she stopped walking last week and then developed diarrhea and became very thin. I had to wash her bottom and discovered she had worms. I have taken her to the vet where they gave me dewormer, I have forced small amounts of molasses water given her daily doses of poly visol, bathed her daily, kept her in the house with me, given her legs range of motion exercises 2 times a day.and taken her outside 4 times a day to hang with her buddies. Yesterday she kept tipping over on her side. today she wobbly walked about 10 feet to get to the food dish. I am praying that the vitamins are kicking in and giving her strength. Exotic bird stores have a type of high calorie food that you might offer her. I wish you the best of luck![​IMG]

4. misspoppins

misspoppins Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Thanks! I thought about the heat (the day before yesterday was the hottest day we've had so far), so I'm doing all I can to cool her down.

What can I do about mites, if she has them?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Why are you giving your BR molasses when she already has diarrhea? Molasses is used as a flush to cause diarrhea. Stop the molasses, stop the polyvisol, stop all vitamins and feed her just plain layer feed and provide clean freshwater. All that stuff will cause more harm than good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by