loss my chickens due to my stupid dogs! cherry valley California

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by scott37, Feb 7, 2014.

1. scott37

scott37 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    cherry valley California
    Hello just wanted to say i had two beautiful silkies! One black and one white. They were producing eggs every day and now they are dead due to my stupid dog!!!!! I am having a hard time finding chickens at a reasonable price and distance. If anybody is near the cherry valley California area and would like to sell some of your chickens please give me a email. I would like some americaunas or road islands reds or even some more silkies. Thank you for your time.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    What's your plan to keep the dogs from killing your next chickens? Training? Separation?

3. scott37

Nov 17, 2013
    cherry valley California
    I had them separated already but the lock I had on it my dog figured how to open it. So I had to replace the lock with a dog proof lock. One she can't open up. So now just looking for some new chickens.

4. Didymus

Didymus Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    That is sad. Our dog is a sheepherder (Shetland Sheep) and has never tried to harm or attack the chickens. He does occasionally try to herd them, but if they don't want to, they chase him. I guess he is a 'chicken dog". I guess it comes down to, do you prefer chickens or a dog. Hard decision. But I would imagine that it will happen again, due to the dogs interest in killing the chickens.

A hard choice for sure. I feel very lucky. Since we are first time chicken owners, we have only so far had to deal with a broken toe, some kind of a limping thing that went away, very cold, more bedding and coating combs.

Best of luck to you and your dog!

5. Ruthster55

Ruthster55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Before you even contemplate replacing those chickens, DO SOMETHING so the dog won't get any future chickens!!

Fix the fencing, build a pen for the dog, rehome the dog, whatever.....but don't just assume it won't happen again!!

I see way too many posts on here from ppl that assume their dog can do no wrong, and the dog attacks again! I've seen posts where ppl have lost as many as 30 to 60 sometimes valuable chickens.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    The OP said in their second post that they've already gotten a dog-proof lock on the gate. My first thoughts on reading the OP's first post was along the lines of wondering if they've done anything to stop the dog repeating this, but their second post showed they had. Might have been clearer if it was in the first post but as long as it's done, it's all good.

Best wishes to all.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
  7. scott37

Nov 17, 2013
    cherry valley California
    First of all I already took care of the issue! If I didn't take care of the issue I wouldn't of been wanting to get more chickens! !!!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  9. scott37

Nov 17, 2013
    cherry valley California
    Yea I read them and going to try to train them so they can live together but for right now they will be kept separated when I get some more chickens.

10. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Yeah, I get that, but it's easy to jump to conclusions from just one post and leap to replying if it's a hot button topic like this... That may be why some people missed your second post saying you'd fixed the lock...

You'd be surprised how many people just get more birds in and don't do anything about the dog. In fact, just making an assessment according to most posts about this subject I've seen on this site, the majority of folks just get more chooks, not do anything about the dog, lol!

You totally have my sympathy in this, sometimes despite all your efforts and how positive it looks like it's going, the dog still makes a bad choice.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by