Loss of an Eye and strange scabby crusting on comb?? Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by madchickeng, Nov 17, 2013.

1. madchickeng

madchickeng New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    My chicken has lost an eye and has a strange swelling scab on its comb. It's like chicken pox but only at the bottom of the comb and in the middle of the scab is a big swollen patch. The chickens eyelid is stuck together with some sort of orange crusty substance. Please help, and advice would be gratefully recieved!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. madchickeng

madchickeng New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    The eye is suspected to have been pecked out in a fight or by our cockerel. Here is a picture of the scabbing on the comb and the eye:
    [​IMG]

I hope this helps

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The comb looks like fowl pox. Have you tried to open the outer part of the eye to see if it may still be there? Whether this is pox in the eye, a respiratory infection showing up in the eye, or the eye was pecked out, it looks to be infected. I would get some antibiotics from the vet or some Tylan50 from the farm store and start him on injections--1 cc or ml daily in the breast muscle for 5 days. If he is small or a bantam, just give 1/4 to `1/2 cc/ml. If you can't give a shot, some people will give this orally. Penicillin could be used if you are positive it isn't a respiratory disease like CRD. I hope you can find his eye in there when the swelling goes down. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by