Loss of appetite and Lethargy

RoosterDoo

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2014
Wyoming
Hey everyone!

I have been raising chickens for 10ish years, but have never had this problem. My Red Star hen (approx. 1 yr. old), has become increasingly- a loner. I brought her inside when I noticed she didn't come running for food earlier this week. I went over to see what was up and personally show her food. She bent down as if to eat, tried to pick up a scratch grain, and didn't end up eating anything. I brought her inside to monitor her. Her poop was wet, white and sticky. I have been feeding her via syringe. I have given wazine and duramycin-10, thinking it might be worms or something. Her poops changed to mostly clear and watery with some green pellet like parts and getting more substance to them. Her crop is empty and wattles and comb and eyes are normal.

She just hangs out, doesn't walk around much, usually just stands in one spot, sleeping with her head pulled in and feathers fairly ruffled. I have checked for egg binding, and there seems to be no egg. The one thing I have noticed is that she refuses to stretch out her neck, on her own and with my assistance. I can usually stretch out my birds to almost full extension before they recoil, but not her, not even a quarter extension. She pulls back like a resistant child. I am curious if all her problems have to do with her not using her neck? She does hold her head straight and I even find her sleeping with it tucked on her back.

I am at a loss as to what is going on...

Welcome to BYC. Her behavior sounds similar to my hen that recently died of presumed egg yolk peritonitis. Is she laying? Coccidiosis might also be a problem if any new chickens have come in, or if she is new to your
ground.
edited for spelling

Last edited:
Hmmm... She is not laying and I have not introduced new birds to my flock... Is there something I could try? I was going to get some Zupreem baby parrot food to reintroduce bacteria and nutrients to her crop...

Hmmm... She is not laying and I have not introduced new birds to my flock... Is there something I could try? I was going to get some Zupreem baby parrot food to reintroduce bacteria and nutrients to her crop...
Have you checked her for any crop issues,such as impacted or sour crop? Check for vent gleet also.

The green in poop(other than eating grass clippings,etc)indicates she is not eating enough food,starvation. If she does not start to eat,you may want to consider tube feeding her.

Last edited:
I don't believe this is a sour crop. Whatever I put in there empties out overnight. Her vent is normal, not pasty or anything.

It wouldn't hurt her to have Corid for coccidiosis, or I would give her Amoxicillin, Baytril (prescription only) or penicillin for EYP. If you could take her to your vet, that would be best. A stool sample could rule out cocci.

Have you checked her over from top to bottom for any wounds that may have become infected? Her crop fills up during the day after eating and empties overnight,questioning b/c she has green poop which can indicate starvation.

Also i believe Wazine only targets roundworms,so if she has a different type of worm infestation,wazine will not kill them.

I know she is malnourished at the moment, haven't been able to get anything but tomato soup for her to eat. Today, I managed to get her hand feeding formula after work. I also can't feed her but a couple times a day, as I work from 230a-230p and no one else is home. Wazine was administered as a precaution and because that is the only thing I have other than the duramycin.

She is unscathed. The only noticeable problem she has is that I can't straighten her neck like the others. It is not twisted in an obvious sense, but rather seems to be sitting normally in the "tucked in" position. When her neck base is straight her head is rolled under. This is why I thought maybe she has a case or wry neck...She won't bend down to eat or drink.

I also could see signs of this being Coccidiosis. I am not so sure about EYP. She doesn't seem to be in respiratory distress, swollen anywhere or have yolk colored stools. I will have to see if any of the farm stores have Corid tomorrow.

I will post pics momentarily...

[/IMG]

I just fed her 35cc of formula and she seemed to perk up just a little. It is also cold in my house so she's by the fire.

Back
Top Bottom