Loss of appetite, how do I turn this around?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Nov 12, 2010.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Two of my pullets have stopped laying. I watched them carefully today, they are not eating the layer crumbles unless I make a wet layer mash with yogurt or scrambled eggs. It's as if they have very little appetite. They do scratch around in what's left of the grass in their lot and eat dried grass, etc. I can see pieces of undigested vegetation in their poop, which is watery. They are 8 months old. Both have been a little sluggish lately and maybe this is why. What can I do?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Do they have a good supply of grit? With undigested food showing up, I be sure their grit dish is full of a good choice with different sizes of rock/granite - small pea sized and smaller.

4. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    They were wormed with Wazine in July and Ivermectin a couple of weeks after that. They have grit, oyster shells, three feeders for 7 pullets (we had some picking problems that have been resolved). I'm going to get a poop sample and take it to the vet just in case. I've examined the pullets and they don't have lice. I also put a little seven dust in their dust bath. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by