1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

loss of feathers-walking like she's drunk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fellix, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Fellix

Fellix New Egg

Oct 5, 2013
    I have a hen who is bald on her breast/underside. She was falling over, spreading her wings so I brought her in, put her in a dog crate and heated her up. She's eating and drinking. Her poop seems formed. I'm feeding her cottage cheese and yogurt, pellets, lettuce (or other greens) and water. She seems to be eating ok. She hasn't laid an egg for 6 months but was fine until recently. I was advised to check for mites and offer an antibiotic if no mites.

She doesn't seem to be able to stand up straight... I tried to put her back in the coop with her sister but her well sister wanted to peck her so I brought her back in the house. I'll have to reintroduce them too.

Any ideas?

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    You may know this, so please forgive me is this is way below your experience. [​IMG] BUT not long ago I thought one of my hens was very sick and dying. I didn't think my hen could stand up, but she was really just all puffed up and had her wings out. It turns out she was broody, and I'd never seen a broody hen before. (The other hens always search out and peck my broody hens when they go clucking around them, too.)

It would be nice for you and your hen if that's all it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by