1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Loss of feathers

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ole rooster, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Songster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Yesterday, late, I found a good number of small feathers on two spots of my front front yard. I thought they were from one of the Buffs. I looked them over and didn't see any thing out of order. Today I look at the feathers again and saw a red tint to them. I looked at my EE hen and found her neck feathers from one side of her neck to the other had been pulled out. Whe has a hood like set of feather covering that area but under those it bare. Her neck is completely bare. She does have a slight discoloring on her back to one side. Kind of a gray color in 3 spots real close together. I'm out a lot of the day and have seen nothing in regards to a predator. Just squirrels by the bucketfull.

What could have done this and do you think the bare neck is going to cause a problem during the cold weather? I thought Bob may have done this but I've never seen him show any aggression whatsoever. She's also not a timid bird. That I've seen sorta toward the top in order.

I just don't know.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Is she high on the pecking order? Could she have mites or lice?

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Songster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The thing that doesn't make sense to me is no feathers are anywhere but in the front yard on either side of a path. I thought if mites were a problem others would be doing the same, and the feather would be everywhere. Could be though.

4. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Do you have any pets that only have access to the front yard that could have attacked her?

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Songster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    All my animals run lose. If Morgan had done anything the chickens would be leary of him. That's not the case. They don't pay him and mind.

6. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Hmm then I have no idea she must just be being bullied by other hens.

7. rarely bored

rarely bored Songster

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    I've noticed my young roo pulls the neck feathers out of the hens when he mounts them. At first I saw feathers on the ground, then I realized the hens were missing feathers on the neck, then I watched the roo's horrid technique. [​IMG] He seems to be a bit more refined now, but still lacks in the romance department. sigh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by