Loss of feathers~!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brian461, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Brian461

Brian461 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Cleveland,TX
    My chicken is loosing its feathers on its back near it's tail, What can cause this to happen.

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Mo(u?)lting. Soon you will have a run full of feathers.

Or it might be that the other chickens are pecking her, that's what happened to our little Rita... she doesn't seem too fazed, gets a little sunburned but otherwise OK. We've tried EVERYTHING (in the pic you can see some BluKote) but nothing worked. She's still an awesome layer and she's otherwise OK, so we just keep an eye on her.
    [​IMG]
    ^ does it look like that?

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Overmating. Do you have a roo? Or more then one roo?

4. Brian461

Brian461 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Cleveland,TX
    I bought her looking like that, i had 2 that looked the same. I've owned her for about a month now but does not look any better. I have one rooster.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Do you have any idea if these chickens were at the bottom of the pecking order? That may be the cause of the feather picking.

Hangin, you could be right. A hen may also do this, though- we don't have a roo, and look at poor Reety.

6. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    are the roos mounting your hens? if so they are most likely doing it. put them in a coop by themselves and give them a good source protein to eat if its moulting they still need the protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by