loss of feathers

Zobjob

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
hey everyone.
i have just returned home from 2 months away. I had someone looking after my hens (3) and she messaged me to say just one had lice. she used treatment cleaned the coop and apparently they went away. she then said the same chook was clucky and sat on the eggs all day. As soon as i got home i noticed that there where feathers everywhere. so many that it looked like a cat had tried to attack her....BUT SHE IS PULLING THEM OUT HERSELF! she isn't clucky but sitting on the ground all day and a lot skinnier than before (she was head mistress so very fat, now one of the others has taken over that role).
So far i have given her some healthy food and have some garlic soaking in oil now for them to all have tomorrow.
They will be coming inside tonight as we have a cyclone coming through here tomorrow. I will keep an eye on her but just not too sure what is wrong.. maybe depressed because i was away and resorted to self harm (we spend a lot of time together).

Open to any suggestions!

Sounds like your hen may have gone broody. They will pull out their belly feathers when that happens. That would also explain her being "clucky". If so, the easiest way I have broke broody hens is to get them off the ground and put them in a wire bottom cage for a few days. It works every time for me.

yes i think she is too. We are expecting a cyclone here tomorrow so just moved them to under the house and noticed she had a little pile of feathers and grass clippings she was moving around. plus she didn't bother coming when i called her for a treat, just fixed her pile up. But she has feathers missing all over and maybe not grooming because she is less water proof. after the weekend i will try the cage. I usually give the others treats and it makes the clucky one jealous and she snaps out if it.

Back
Top Bottom