loss of hair and itching

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dawnk6877, Mar 14, 2016.

1. dawnk6877

dawnk6877 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Hi! I am new to raising baby chick's we've had our baby chick's for almost 2 weeks now ( i am unsure of how old they were when we purchased them) and I've just noticed that my baby chick's have started to itch themselves alot and I have 1 baby chick that is bald under 1 of its wings. And 1 that has 2 bald spots on her back. They both are acting normal as far as eating drinking and playing. I am unsure if its lice or mites or if it is just new feathers growing in. I just recently introduced my dog to the chickens and wondered if he maybe brought a bug in that is effecting them :/ I don't know if that can happen? Thanks in advance for your help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    what kind of bedding do you have in their brooder? is it by chance pine pellets?

3. dawnk6877

dawnk6877 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    We have been using pine shavings

4. dawnk6877

dawnk6877 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    We use one shavings for their bedding

5. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never had issue with pine pellets (although I prefer hard wood pellets) but since they are not all created equal (as evidenced on any pellet furnace forum where they complain all day about the different brands :) ) there might be some with higher sap content that causes irritation...

But, on the subject of irritating bedding, is it by chance cedar?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  6. dawnk6877

dawnk6877 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Okay I will try a different kind of bedding and see if that helps Thank you

7. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama

Ive used the TSC pine pellets a good bit because of their price deal they've been having and some batches have a very strong pine scent and break down to a sawdust consistency very quickly (without excessive moisture) and with quail especially (they love playing in the bedding) it's caused some irritation and loss of feathers.

8. Ava1

Ava1 New Egg

Jan 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

9. Ava1

Ava1 New Egg

Jan 23, 2016
    My chicks have been scratching. I have three that are having problems like this. I also have pine shavings.
    How can I help them heal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by