lossing feather

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ericmcginn5, Dec 3, 2013.

1. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    my chickens our lossing a lot of feathers i coulnt find mits or lice and they have never fought and i have not seen they fight \
    do they molt this time of year

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Yep, they can molt this time of year!! I have 2 that just started molting and 1 just finishing up!

3. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon

Five of our eight hens (ages 8-18mos) are at some stage of molting and one just laid her first post molt egg. The two RIR's our only "production" hens are the worse. One has no back and few wing feathers (also some of her new quills are bleeding to the point that the coop looked like a crime scene) the other one, the only one who has ever molted before, has lost nearly all the feathers on her head and neck.

From the worse molt 2013 thread:

This is Tutu and she needs to be entered into the Frizzle catagory. (she is actually a frazzle) I have more pictures of her sadness if you need them. This is her recovery from molting, you can see her new feathers on her chest. lol

[​IMG]

4. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    my chickens ournt lossing that many feahers holly cow

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, they can molt at this time of year, and I suspect that is what your chickens are doing. To help them molt faster, provide them with high protein treats, like mealworms, scrambled eggs, cat food, and other insects, but even without this, they will still probably finish molting in 1-3 months.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chickens often molt at this time of year. As long as they are kept in a draft free place, they should be fine, even if it gets cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by