lost 1 of 14 to something...can't figure out what

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by areyoumymother, May 14, 2011.

1. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Lost one (of 14) 6 week old Silver Wyandote yesterday to 'something'. haven't figured out what exactly got the chick.

Whatever it was lifted up the tacked down chicken wire along the bottom of the coop and went off with the whole chick, only a few feathers remain just outside the compromised area of chicken wire....I need to reinforce the bottom with hardware cloth, will be doing that today.

I am new at this and scratchin my head trying to figure out exactly what I'm dealing with.

We are on 3 acres and the coop is in the middle next to the barn in the area we keep mowed, the other half is overgrown prairie, vegetation approx 2-4 feet high......

The coop is open air design with chick wire on all four sides of a steel frame.

Not only am I new to chickens but new to 'rural' living as we just moved here 2 years ago from always being in the suburbs.[​IMG]

I could kick myself having the polyanna outlook that 'it will be ok' I underestimated the verocity of the 'food chain'

Any and all insights on what I am dealing with and measures I can take to prevent it from happening again are greatly appreciated

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Whatever it was lifted up the tacked down chicken wire along the bottom of the coop and went off with the whole chick, only a few feathers remain just outside the compromised area of chicken wire....I need to reinforce the bottom with hardware cloth, will be doing that today

That's a good start..don't forget to bury a couple of feet of it all around.​

3. areyoumymother

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:That's a good start..don't forget to bury a couple of feet of it all around.

Question ? what is the best way to bury it in the ground? Not straight down I hope, a 2 foot trench all along the bottom would be difficult. Is 2 feet straight out from bottom of coop OK.

4. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    If you cant dig down because of rocks or whatever..then yes bend it out L from the bottom of coop and place rocks on it or let the grass grow over it so you dont trip on it.

5. areyoumymother

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:Hmmm...good idea, now you have my creative wheels turning......Digging a trench is not entirely impossible but would be difficult at best....

I'm all about the 'work smarter not harder'

I am thinking bricks or rock would be a good weight to anchor the portion that's on the ground.....I'm scouring Craiglist for a good deal (ie free) on a suitable material.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by