Lost 1 of 2 pekin ducks last night, what to do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckmeister1, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Duckmeister1

Duckmeister1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2015
    NOLA
    Last night we lost one of our two pekins. We had them as pets. They were brothers and were together since they were born (2 years). Is the other one going to be depressed, sad or have any side effects. Does he need another friend? They were both males.

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I am sorry for your loss. They are flock animals and do better in groups of 2 or more. They will bond with a human if raised from hatch alone but not necessarily once they lost a flock mate. They generally will go searching for their buddy and show some depression (less food intake, laying around) but they will cope with it. i would find him a new friend

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sorry you lost one...I would introduce two new Hens if you can? You can try Drakes but sometimes that does not workout too well...Being raised together as Ducklings and introducing new ones to a mature bird is another story....He will probably accept hens a lot easier than other drakes....He will be lonely...I had to get rid of a Drake a few weeks ago because I had too many...The five remaining looked endlessly for him...It was sad.....

Best of luck..

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by