Lost 1 of my 2 Rouens this morning

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dinomom, Feb 26, 2013.

1. dinomom

dinomom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Hello everyone, early this morning I went outside to feed my 2 ducks and found one dead, an animal must have killed it. Here's a little back story before I ask my question.
    2 years ago at Easter time we hatched these 2 Rouens, we raised them and eventually let them go in the little subdivision lake behind our house. They're both males and have been inseparable they're whole lives, they come to our yard to eat twice a day together, swim together, one was hurt at one time and the other never left his side till he healed. Now I feel sorry for the one left. What should I do? Get another male about 2 yrs old or just leave as is?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Quack Addict

Quack Addict Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Ty Ty, Georgia
    Get that boy a hen

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Sorry for the loss. If they are not in a predator proof house at night than it is very likely that whatever killed the first will come back. Rouens do not have the survival skills needed to avoid predators. I'd catch the remaining one and try to find it a home where someone will protect it. A lone duck is a lonely duck. But leaving it out there it is unlikely that it will survive.

4. dinomom

Apr 23, 2011
    Thanks for your reply, I do have a pen out there for them that they could use, but they never go in it. I really think it might have been a dog off the leash or something like that because we live in the suburbs and are completely surrounded by homes. Who knows though, I could be wrong.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quite possible it could have been a dog, even in the country they are one of the top predators for bird loss. That said, i would find a new home for him, he's a domestic duck they don't belong in a subdivisions pond, so many things could go wrong with that.

I'm sorry for your loss, i gather you cannot house them in your yard? they truly do need overnight predator proof housing. Your are correct he needs companions ducks are flock animals, you'd likely be best with adding 2-3 ducks(females) vs another drake(male) as the dynamics of that last relationship may not be able to be duplicated.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. dinomom

Apr 23, 2011
    Just called and animal shelter not too far from here, they have a male Rouen that is used to being housed at night. So I was thinking maybe I could adopt him and he could help me teach our male duck to come to the shelter in the evening. Any thoughts?

7. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Sounds OK, but he could really use a female..

8. dinomom

Apr 23, 2011

I tried and can only find a male around this area to adopt. Don't know if my poor boy is ever gonna get lucky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by