Lost 1st chicken :( - Fencing Question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kings1228, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Kings1228

Kings1228 Hatching

May 27, 2014
    We lost our 1st chicken. She was a 12 week old Barred Plymouth Rock. Our neighbors lap dog chased her into the woods and we were unable to find her. :( We found feathers, that's all.

I let my chickens free range the yard. I want to let them do that still but, with a temporary fence, that is easy to move. I have looked at the poultry fences that are plastic. Would this be good enough to help with the lap dog problem? I check on the girls a lot during the day and at night they are locked up in a very secure run/coop.

This fence would be for daytime use only and to alert me if the dog comes over yapping!

Will this work? other ideas?

Oh, and NO electric fences, please!

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    So sorry to hear about the loss of your chicken to a scumbag dog. Now that the shock of it has subsided somewhat, the more important question is have you confronted your neighbor??!!!!! Me? I don't know what the situation is with this neighbor, but if the neighbor is unwilling to keep their dog on their own place I'd calmly tell them "look, your dog killed one of my chickens on MY property. If he comes over again, he will not return." Simple as that.

As for those green plastic rolls of what looks like chicken wire? Don't waste your money. You may very well have to re-think allowing your flock to free-range...I personally am not a believer in free-ranging. I've put too much money, time, blood sweat and tears into my flock to see them die from a scumbag predator attack just because "it's the thing to do" ... sorry for ranting but I am a firm believer in this...

Again, so very sorry for your loss...please keep us updated as to how it goes with the neighbor.

3. Meytchison

Meytchison In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    Oldsmar,Fl
    x2

I dont know about were you live but there is a leash law here. Tell your neighbor to keep their pets on their property.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kings1228

Kings1228 Hatching

May 27, 2014
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I could try supervised free ranging?? I really want them to enjoy the yard and we really enjoy watching them in it. :)

My neighbor knows, I was alerted by them calling for the dog. They said sorry, they would pay another chicken and that the dog had no blood on it. We live in the country. We don't even have zoning so, I am sure nothing would be done. I tried to be as nice as possible.

So........ I was just trying to find a way to "protect" the girls for a few hours a day. I guess I will just be out there with them anytime they are out. We do have a Rooster that is 12 weeks. Maybe he will help out when he is older? We shall see.

Thanks for replying!

5. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Songster

Jun 10, 2014
    None of this is governed by local zoning. It's all state laws.

Why no electric? It's the most effective, easy to deal with way to do this (especially if you want portable).

6. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    At the very least you have a County Sheriff....have you contacted them?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have 4 foot chainlink fencing that my chickens have easily flown up and over into my yard where my dogs are. I lost one, and 2 were slightly injured over a span of time. My dogs were trained to not come near the chickens again with a shock collar used 3 times and put away. We now have 3 chickens who roam our yard all day long. To keep the chickens out of my yard, I bought the tallest Premier One electric fence, and do not use it with electric. The reason it keeps the chickens in, is that they can't jump up on it and go over. Many of my light weight chickens can jump up 8 feet in the air to my barn roof, but they or the large fowl don't jump the electric netting. One warning though is that cats and small dogs can get stuck in the netting while they get used to it, and electrifying it for a short time may be helpful to keep them off.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I was wondering the same thing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by