Lost 1st chicken to a dog!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Darin115, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I have been raising chickens for 2 years now. I have never lost a chicken to a dog. Today I have 2 sick black sexlinks.

I seperated them into a box. I go back outside to make sure everything si ok with my 2 black rose combs. My neighbors dog must have escaped. He had the rooster in his mouth heading home. I hollered and he dropped him. I headed to get the shotgun. The neighbor must have seen it so he comes running with his 6 year old little girl.
    I go meet him in the yard. The rooster is not quiet dead. I finish hte rooster off and head to get a shovel. He is appologizing and asking how much he owes me. His little girl is upset.

I start looking for my hen. She is no where to be found. I see feathers all over the yard. 30 minutes later I find her in some tall grass. She is sitting motionless. I pick her up and put her back in the coop.

The guy asks me if I want to kill this dog. His little girl says no daddy. I can't kill her dog. He said he opened the door to feed him and he bolted out. It was like 30 seconds and he had my rooster.

He insists on paying me. He is unemployed and his wife is a nurse. I hate to take money from them knowing things are tight at their house.

What would you do? Call it a loss or take his money??

Darin

2. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Do what you feel in your heart. Sometimes bad things happen and you just have to say it was an accident. HOWEVER, does his dog bolt over often. Maybe you could suggest a leash to keep his dog in check.

3. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I just wanted to add how sorry I am for your loss. It must be heart breaking.

4. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry. How awful.

I would, in this case, give them this one time break. Considering that they appear to be remorseful and conscientious and struggling.....

I would let them know that you are giving them a break this time, but if it ever happens again, it is 50 bucks a bird.

I would not shoot their dog.

This is just my opinion. I am sure others might have stronger responses.

Take care.[​IMG]

5. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    it was an accident that the dog got out. Out of kindness, i would say "Not this time" I would also hate to see you kill the little girls dog. I have been that little girl whose dog was taken away and that sticks with you forever.

I realize the chickens are important and you have alot invested in them. Can you make preparations so that it cant happen again?

6. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

How's the hen doing? Hope she makes it. I lost my first chick to a dog last night, my younger cornish cross flock is minus one now, due to my own weimaraner (hunting dog) grump, at least I caught her eating the breast.

I am wondering if a raven took it from the pen as the fence is chain link and its 8 feet tall. I also know that dog can squeeze into or out of the smallest holes but if she got the chick from the pen, there'd be more than one missing and other signs.

I'm thankful the neighbor is taking responsibility for you, that speaks volumns by itself. I'd have to suggest to the neighbor though, that the dog cannot make escaping a habit and should have a leash on prior to the door open or a chain link fence to keep it on their property.

This will also be a learning experience for the lil girl, so I'd try to act, talk and allow her to learn positively from this bad experience so when she grows up a bit, she'll be a responsible pet owner, too.

7. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I guess it was part my fault for taking my eyes off them for a few minutes. The dog is generally in a lot but bolted out when he went to feed it.

I can't kill this dog knowing it will break that little girls heart.
    I am supposed to feed his dogs at the end of July when they go to NJ.

I told him that it was ok this time but I don't want to lose anymore birds. These 2 chickens were my very first purchase of adult chickens. My kids called them Fred and Wilma. Now I need to get a new Fred. Wilma is already lonely. I don't have any extra bantam roosters. Can I put her in with black sexlinks? I hate for her to get hurt.

Darin

8. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd put her in with whatever is youngest, the older birds are more set in their ways...

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Here's what I'd do

- Call it a loss, a learning experience. It's just one chicken - you can replace it.
    - Be grateful for superb neighbors.
    - Go have a beer with the guy, my treat.
    - Get to work on fences and some dog training for the heathen hound.
    - Never trust any dog as far as I can throw it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Tell the guy that its okay, it was an accident, just try not to let it happen again.

Obviously, he feels really bad about what happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by