Lost 2 Baby Guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by HyLinda, Jun 19, 2010.

1. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    I have (had) 13 3-wk-old guineas. I took one outside and put it in a fenced in area. It quickly ran through 2 fences and off into the woods. So I went and got another baby and put it in a smaller fence with smaller holes, thinking it would call it's sibling back. It ran off too. As soon as they get under cover they go silent. I went back and got a third baby-NO I DIDN'T! I did put some food and water out for them in case they come back. What are the chances?

2. horseshoecreekranch

horseshoecreekranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    I let 8-2 month old guineas out and never saw them again. I am not 100% sure, but I think our peafowl had something to do with it.

3. HyLinda

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    I heard the baby calling outside my window this morning, but couldn't find it. I put water and food out for them. Was hoping they might try to buddy up with my chickens who live in the back yard.[​IMG]

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Good luck on getting your babies back. When I bought my first guineas, I wasn't really thinking about how much they like their "territory" and will try to go "back home" when they are moved. The guineas I got were adults that had originally lived almost 300 miles south of me. I put them in a fenced enclosure, fed, and watered them. I went to check on them a little later and all seemed well and they seemed to be settling in nicely. Well, about 2 in the morning, I was awoken by this horrible racket outside (this is Alaska and yes it was very much light out at 2 a.m. [​IMG]). I went out to see what was going on and there were 6 of the guineas out of the pen and headed up the driveway towards the road with a very purposeful step. 45 minutes later I had them rounded back up and back in the fence where they settled back down. they can definitely disappear in the underbrush when they put their minds to it. I had 2 similar instances over a 3 day period before they finally gave up and decided the food here was good enough. I truly hope you find your babies.

5. HyLinda

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    Sounds like the beginning of the "Eggcredible Journey"

Haven't heard or seen my babies since yesterday. I will be much more careful with the remaining ones.

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. [​IMG] Give the others lots of love and lots of treats. [​IMG]

7. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    3 of mine squeezed thru the fencing as well. I found 1 later that morning, but the other 2 did end up comin back after a day or two. they were hungry and thirsty. Now when I go in their run I bring treats and say, "here, chick, chick, chick" so if they ever get out again I can try to call them back. I got millet, they are supposed to love that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by